I am very happy to introduce Melanie! A talented makeup artist with a great sense of style who will be sharing all her beauty secrets with us! I have known Melanie for a while now. And I was touched when she told me that she also lends her time and MUA talent as a volunteer for the ‘Look Good Feel Better Program’ — helping women fighting with cancer gain their confidence and sense of self by enhancing their natural beauty. Melanie also works in Web communications and is just an all around balanced and beautiful person!
So once in a while you will notice her name as the author of a post!
I am very pleased to collaborate with Martha on her blog! I hope I can bring some beauty in your life by sharing some tips and advice as well as my favorite makeup products!
Rule no. 1 for a fresh looking and lasting makeup — you need a smooth canvas!
Do you have a special event coming up, a night out with colleagues or a date set-up right after work? There is nothing more annoying than looking in the mirror at the end of the day only to notice that your makeup has faded and smudged.
Here are the basics you can use to make sure your makeup stays fresh and lasts all day!
A beautiful makeup starts with a fresh clean face! I’ve noticed that the smoother the surface, the easier it is to apply makeup, and it will last longer. To achieve that beautiful complexion, I recommend you exfoliate 2 to 3 times a week — especially when you have a special occasion coming up.
Exfoliating removes dead skin cells and helps reduce flakiness. While in the shower, gently scrub your face in circular motion and rinse off with water. It’s quick and easy to do and you’ll get more radiant looking skin. Pat your face dry and apply your moisturizer. Let it set for 2-3 minutes. Allow the product to be absorbed before you go on with the next step.
Products I recommend: Please note that even though I’ve indicated prices in Canadian dollars, all products are also available online in the US.
• Arbonne FC5 Exfoliating New Cell Scrub ($40 CAD). Effective scrub, yet very smooth and refreshing. Will leave your skin radiant looking. Its citrus scent originates from natural botanically based ingredients.
• Clarins One-Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser with Orange Extract ($38 CAD). Good for all skin types. Delightful sweet scent.
• La Roche-Posay Ultrafine Scrub ($19,50 CAD). Its gentle fine grains will smooth and purify skin. Ideal for sensitive skin. Very light scent.
Now that you have a clean canvas, time to prime! If you’ve never used a makeup primer before, I suggest you give it a try. What are the benefits of using a primer? A primer will not only give you more flawless looking skin, it will significantly increase the longevity of your makeup by giving it something to hold on to. Therefore it won’t crease into fine lines. It provides a smooth surface for your foundation application or CC Cream, reduces the appearance of pores and covers imperfections. It also balances moisture and forms a barrier against oil, water and residue — which is especially important on hot summer days or long hours at the office! I quickly see the benefits of using a primer the moment I’m not wearing any!
There are different brands and types of primers depending on the exact need. It’s important to really look into their benefits and usage. Most primers adapt to any skin color. However, some primers are slightly tinted, which helps to color-correct rosacea or conceal imperfections.
Using specific primers for your eyelids is worthwhile too. It will intensify the color of your eyeshadow and help prevent creasing. Nude or beige color primers can also be worn without eyeshadow. It creates a more youthful appearance by reducing wrinkles and redness.
How to use:
Once you’ve moisturized your skin, massage primer onto skin with your fingertips or a sponge.
Products I recommend:
• Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer ($63 CAD). Oil-free, very lightweight and seals in moisture. Comes in a regular 1 oz/30 ml size and a practical travel size — which is perfect if you want to test out the product. A must-have in my travel makeup kit and now in Martha’s too!
• Arbonne Makeup Primer ($49 CAD). Smooth creamy formula. Helps prime skin and diminish the appearance of fine lines and pores. Botanical ingredients help condition skin.
• La Roche-Posay Tinted Anti-Aging Primer Cream SPF 50 ($39 CAD). Universal tinted formula. Evens skin texture and covers imperfections. SPF helps protect skin from sun damage. Beauty tip: it’s important to warm up the product with your fingertips for an easier and even application.
• Dior Backstage Eye Primer ($37 CAD). Can be worn with or without makeup. Will act as a concealer and brighten the eye area. Evens out skin tone and imperfections on the eyelid.
• Smashbox 24 Hour Photo Finish Shadow Primer ($25 CAD). This primer helps your eyeshadow look more vibrant. Does it keep its promise and really last 24 hours? Brides have told me that their eyeshadow was intact and smudge free even after dancing and partying all night long! Beauty tip: Apply thin layer and wait 30 seconds. For a more pigmented eyeshadow look, ideally dab the shadow with your fingertip. Great for special occasions!
• Lise Watier Makeup Base for Eyes and Lips ($21 CAD). Prevents shadow from creasing. Light creamy texture. Quick and easy to apply in the morning.
For a beautiful makeup that lasts, include these two basics in your makeup routine and say goodbye to long touch-up sessions!